Monday, October 24, 2016

Creating a Simple Webpage
Blog Post built in HTML

I remember my first encounter with the internet. It was the mid 90's and my father brought home a Gateway PC and a dial-up modem. Now these were the days where you had a land line in your home and no cell phone (oddly enough my dad had a car phone), so if you happened to sign on to the internet your phone became a large, corded, paperweight. The handful of web pages you could visit were probably all built just like this, where a person has a simple interface, like a word processor, and typed every minute detail and hoped that they had not missed a simple keystroke. Now programmers mostly still have this problem, but for the average joe trying to get their web page up and running is as easy as paying a service, selecting the template you like, and inputting whatever typeface, verbiage, and pictures you want. I prefer the new way. I've never dabbled in HTML before, but it seems much like guess and check. Even now as I write this I keep hitting the "preview" button just make sure that it all works.

But it is an interesting exercise. It gives me a whole new perspective and level of respect for the dot-com pioneers. They probably spent far too much time typing out the exacting details for whatever business or organization that they were building the site for. I accidentally hit F12 constantly and see the complexity and inner workings of the website. I can barely fathom this much, much less something as complex as a large website like Amazon or Walmart. It's pretty crazy, but kind of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment