Sunday, October 16, 2016

Email vs. Snail Mail

Email seems superior in many ways to traditional snail mail. We can send an infinite amount of copies of something to as many different people with virtually no added effort, not worry about having a stamp handy, and not have the anxiety that maybe it just never showed up. But even email has its limitations; overly exact addresses, data corruption, and the fact that you can not send tangible items are real issues that email has.

But I think there is a certain amount of joy that comes with getting a hand-written letter. I received numerous letters from my family and a few friends when I was in basic training. While I was there it felt as I if were traveling back in time. I was cut off from the internet and access to a convenient phone I could use whenever I liked and receiving those letters made it seem easier to get through. I have NEVER received an email that made me fell like those snail mail letters made me feel. So very much like the happy little guy picture below, I think the biggest difference is that the effort put into a snail mail letter makes it more special. Knowing that someone went through the effort of finding paper, an envelope, and a stamp, sat down and wrote something, sealed it in that envelope and walked or drove their happy ass to the nearest post office and deposited the letter in that bin just for me makes it feel real. Email just doesn't have that "X" factor.


No comments:

Post a Comment